Treatment of Infertile Couples
The assessment and treatment of couples with fertility problems is best done by fertility specialists – people who have had further training in reproduction matters & are used to performing advanced endoscopic surgery and IVF (in vitro fertilization). The reason for this is that they will have the necessary experience and equipment needed for your therapy. All the correct treatment options can also be discussed outlining which procedure would be best for you. Sometimes the investigations may be done in conjunction with your referring gynaecologist. A fertility specialist must have additional postgraduate fellowship qualification in Obstetrics & Gynaecology with Medical & Dental Council Of Nigeria and must have had further training in IVF matters.
What happens at your first appointment with the fertility specialist?
The cause may be related to one partner or both partners. The cause of the problem is a male factor in 40% and a female factor in 40% of couples. Twenty percent of couples have mixed male and female factors. Unexplained infertility is uncommon.
In women the main problems can be:
– failure to ovulate (not releasing eggs)
– damage to the fallopian tubes after pelvic infection
– endometriosis which can interfere with reproductive function and cause pelvic pain
– uterine problems (for example fibroids growing on the womb)
– poor ovarian function due to advanced age or premature ovarian failure
– problems with the cervix
The investigations will be done according to the likely causes of the fertility problem.
They may include:
1. Semen analysis for the male partner
2. Blood tests for HIV, hepatitis B and C, syphilis, thyroid function, prolactin, rubella, serial transvaginal USS or day 21 progesterone (to check for ovulation)
3. A pelvic transvaginal ultrasound to visualise the uterus and ovaries
4. Additional tests will be requested depending on the history and findings and the type of treatment needed.
5. Assessment of the pelvis will include a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy (to check the uterine cavity, fallopian tubes and the pelvis for endometriosis or scar tissue). A hysterosalpingogram X-ray may also be requested.
Starting the fertility treatment
Once a diagnosis has been made, the treatment will be started immediately. The doctor will advise you when to see him/her at the start of a period to commence treatment.
Contacts during fertility cycles
You can contact the doctors directly on the clinic telephone number 08161832528. In case of an emergency, you may contact our IVF Client Coordinator, Matron Komolafe on 08037458603, who will also assist you with any challenge you might face during your fertility treatment.
Cost of fertility treatment?
This depends on the type of treatment done, and the amount of medication required. You may contact Matron Komolafe on 08037458603 for more information on our Fertility Treatment costs.